Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Magic Number

At 6 months they say your time in Korea starts to fly. I can certainly imagine that being so, as I'm coming in to warm seasons. If spring is anything like the end of September and October weather wise, spring and fall will go really fast, as well as summer. It will be my time left in Korea dwindling away, as well as awesome things such as my birthday, mudfest, my summer break (of either Bali or Malaysia), and my fam coming to visit me. The weather has already started to change, and all of a sudden the cherry blossoms are popping up all over the place (how pretty).

I'm mostly here to tell you SIX things I've learned in the past SIX months:

  1. I have become reacquainted with my love of small children (I mean very very young ones...as my 5's class (3 or 4 in America) are my faves for their sheer adorableness). 
  2. I have become aware of my strong desire to have my own classroom again. Although last year I was sharing a classroom with the best teacher mentor ever ;) I felt as though those kids were my own. I saw them everyday, all day, for a whole year. Not so much the case here and I have very little connections with some of them. Needless to say, I want my own classroom.
  3. They always say "you'll find out who your true friends are when you're gone for so long" and I always said "I know who my true friends are." Well they were right, but so was I for the most part :) cheers to good friends!
  4. I've learned how to live on my own. As far as literally living by myself is concerned. Many of you know of my fear of mold. And a few of you have had to deal with my leftovers in the refrigerator before. I now take care of that all by myself. Go me. However I haven't had lights in my bathroom for approximately 6 weeks because I cannot physically remove the light fixture (yes, I've tried 3 times and had a very strong male friend give it a go as well...I think my landlord might come try tomorrow?)
  5. I've truly realized my strong work ethic and would like to give a shout out to my parents for raising me that way. Way to go guys!
  6. Lastly, being abroad is probably going to be the most life changing experience I'll ever have. Who knows where being married or having a small life form of my own to look after someday will rank on this scale, but living in Korea for a year is pretty high up there and I am so thankful for that. 
I love you all. I miss you all (unless of course you're reading this from Korea, then I'll see you soon, like tomorrow or the next day). 

Oh, one last thing, a list of things that I really miss in Korea that I didn't think I would miss quite so much:
  1. I'm dying for Ben and Jerry's (the oatmeal cookie one or the cookie dough brownie one...it's been so long I don't even remember their names).
  2. French bread for like 2 bucks from Freddys. (side note, I had a dream about both of those things...)
  3. Reese's are real hard to come by.
  4. So is Mac and Cheese although I'm stalked pretty well right now thanks to my fairly recently departed (from Korea) friend Steve.
  5. Butterfinger (which I didn't realize I missed so much until my mom just sent me some today). 
  6. Cheap fruits and veggies. I've been splurging more lately because I just want some broccoli sometimes, ya know? 
  7. Ramen and Rice....JUST KIDDING those are the two most ample food groups in Korea. 
LOVES!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment